Wednesday, August 09, 2017

Doing it right this time

A couple of years ago, I had what I thought was a good idea at the time and suggested two works for a list of Hugo recommendations being compiled by an author colleague of mine.

That compilation turned out to work too well, and the success of those recommendations led to a backlash. I don't think I exaggerate when I say I think everyone involved didn't t like the ways things played out.

I resolved afterwards to never to seek support from any list in advance, but to "paddle my own canoe" - to use an old corny expression.

That's what I did in promoting "Another Girl, Another Planet". I am happy that some people and blogs decided to support it for the Dragon award, but I didn't seek any organized support in advance - although I'll accept it if offered.

Of course, I've asked many individuals for support, and some of those folks have their own lists and blogs.

I am proud of "Another Girl, Another Planet" and I think it stands on its own merits. I am very grateful to all of you who nominated it for the Dragon ballot, and I continue to to be thankful as the final voting progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...