Friday, September 01, 2017

To all my friends at DragonCon:

I cannot make it.
Although my corner of Northeast Texas was unaffected by Hurricane Harvey (we didn't even get any rain), as I drove through Arkansas this morning I caught up with the storm, which slowed down traffic.

Then at noon, about 40 miles east of Little Rock, it stopped completely.

Interstate 40 was completely closed eastbound between Little Rock and Memphis because of a major traffic accident.

I was trapped in the backup from noon until 5 p.m.

The loss of time was fatal to my traffic plans. Not to mention that being a 60-year old diabetic, getting trapped like that was VERY inconvenient.

By the time I was able to exit the interstate, along with all the other traffic, at Exit 193, I had to gas up my car - which burned a lot of gas idling for five hours - and turn around.

After that delay I there was no way I could get to Atlanta in a timely fashion. The interstate to Memphis was still closed, and any diversion from where I was would have added many hours to the drive.

Plus, from all indications, I would be driving in the remains of Tropical Storm Harvey the whole way.
I got back to my home here in East Texas at 9:30 p.m. - about the time I should have been reaching Atlanta.

I really looked forward to the convention, and everything looked good up until noon. It just goes to show you how quick things can change.

Sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.

Everyone have a good time. I wish I was there with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Whatever happened to that old Sunbelt?

By LOU ANTONELLI Managing Editor It’s rained almost daily for the past four months. The ground is saturated; walking across grass is lik...